Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Why do ministry?

Here is a photo of why I do ministry. This is Gary. He lived in the neighborhood around Lakeview where I pastor. Gary had problems that were severe. He came to the services at times when he was in distress and wrapped in the grip of alcohol. We were able to share with Gary and kept visiting him and he kept coming. One night at a revival service, Gary came forward and acknowledged Christ as his savior. For 26 days he was able to stay away from the alcohol that had daily wrapped him up. Gary would pray and study. However, there was another problem he faced. One that most of us don't. A chemical imbalance and with it a deep depression. So many problems. memories and unbelieving persons came to be a problem Gary could not shake. He knew Christ had forgave him but struggled with forgiveness of other kinds. While trying to get help for his addiction he fell into a state of depression. It was more than Gary could handle. After a fight and struggle against it he committed suicide. I think of Gary when I question why I do what I do. I do ministry to reach as many of the Gary's of this world with the good news of Jesus Christ. I don't care what some people say. I believe I will see Gary again. Until that day I am going to be on the front line, standing my post and preaching the unchanging word of God. I am going to be a Soldier of Christ and on the battlefield for my Lord. If you know Christ and want to make a difference in someones life for Jesus I invite you to join us. For I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me. I look at this photo of Gary. It hangs on the wall next to my desk and in the Marine vernacular I say, "Semper Fi". I don't want to leave anyone behind. I want to be ever faithful and dedicated to the mission God has called me too.

No comments: