Friday, April 18, 2008

The man and his message...

I spent some time today reading a book on the life of a preacher who ministered from 1933 till his death in 1965. Off and on I would read it until I almost finished the whole book. A friend of mine is wrapped up into a church that practically deifies that preacher. As I read about him and his life I was more and more taken by the way he became encased in his "calling". The author of the book told about the mans life as it was evolving through the eyes of those who witnessed his ministry. He used heliography's of the man. Yeah I asked the same thing. What is Heliography? I had to look it up in a dictionary. Anyway the short explanation is that the writer of the biography Idolizes the subject about whom they are writing. In other words they worship him and he can do no wrong. There were comments about this preacher by some that were not so flattering as well. The book was interesting as it gave details not only about the man but also about the growth of particular denominations as well as the mans on religious body that came to be and in my continued opinion still is cultish. There is an inherent danger to lifting up a man to the point of being above all others. This man, William Marion Branham, was and is considered not just a prophet but the only prophet for the end time age. As I read his story it reminded me of the story of Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon religion. Full of visions and of course the "Angel". I have attempted to be fair in my discussions on this person but the more I look into it the more disturbing this becomes. For anyone to lift up a preacher to that level is as I said before, dangerous. The persons in this church, that prides itself on non denominational ism, is within itself a denomination and Branham is the leader. This is factual today even though he was killed from injuries he received in an automobile accident in 1965. The pastors of the groups that are linked to this man quote him more than anyone in the Bible. His words are trusted as even to some, as equal to scripture. It was not surprising to me that he was one of the top preachers in the early Pentecostal and Charismatic churches, having his background in early healing crusades and associates like F.F. Bosworth, Moore and Parham. I only mention this in my blog because there is that danger today. Christians should be on guard to what any preacher, pastor, spiritual leader or the like is feeding them. In every case the message should always be taken back to scripture and to the proper context of the scripture. One rule I have always followed, let scripture interpret scripture. Be ever cautious about the man and his message, make sure it is not his message but HIS message and that it is backed up by the bible. No man has a monopoly on scripture, the Bible itself says that it is of no private interpretation. Christians should make sure they are following Christ. Jesus said, follow me and I will make you fishers of men. The essence is on following Christ. I surmise the Apostle Paul put this way, follow me as I follow Christ. To follow Christ is not to lead apart from Christ or his teaching or doctrines. I am still convinced that the warning in Revelation holds true, that anyone who adds to or takes away the prophecies of this book (the Bible) will face a penalty stricter than anything imaginable.
It's an awesome responsibility to be a pastor, to preach the Word of God and to be appointed the shepherd of a flock. Just being a pastor scares me enough to be careful of what I believe about my calling is as well. Pastoring and preaching the Word of God is more than tearing down other ministries, more than trying to make a name for yourself. It is lifting up the name of Jesus Christ above all others, lifting up HIS Gospel, preaching and teaching HIS Word. The Apostle Paul gave a warning to us. The Apostle Paul wrote in Gal 1:6-9 "I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: (7) Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. (8) But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. (9) As we said before, so say I now again, If any [man] preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed." Even as I have shared this scripture with some followers of this man, they turn even it, to show it as a shadow of William Marion Branhams life. A man that saw Visions, spoke to Angels, believed to have had supernatural powers granted him, should be looked at with extreme caution. Remember the New Testament advise from the Apostles. Beware of false prophets and those whom you would call and consider a prophet. Well this is enough for now. I still have about 20 pages of the book to read. However, I do not believe my opinion will change. Well all the information about him or any other person who calls themselves a prophet or self appointed apostle is something to think on or as I am fond of saying, chew on it. My advise however is to spit it out, and whatever you do don't swallow it hook line and sinker. In Christ, Pastor T

No comments: