Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Old Rugged Cross made the Difference!

The song says it all. The Old Rugged Cross made the difference in a life full of heartache and defeat. Life is full of bumps and hills and there have been times when I would have thrown up my hands and quit had it not been for Jesus and what he has done for me. I think back on what he went through en route to Calvary and I realize I can make it through in HIS name. I received a note from an individual this week. He mentioned that there were things going on in his family and stress that has caused him to wonder about his calling. I remember when I told my wife that God was calling me to preach. She told me, "I did not marry a preacher and I won't stay married to one." I faced all kinds of emotions and feelings. My first thought was to leave her and let her self destroying prophecy come true. Then I realized that was what Satan wanted me to do. I had to bow to the workings of God and let him be in control. I had to realize that HE had to work in her and he had a work to finish in me as well. That was 15 plus years ago. We will celebrate our 27th Anniversary in August if the Lord Tarries and allows us to live to see it. When I look back over my life I find myself in awe of what God has done. Through the pains and disappointments. I think of the words C.H. Spurgeon wrote in his evening devotional for today in reference to the wounds Jesus suffered.

“Behold how every wound of his
A precious balm distils,
Which heals the scars that sin had made,
And cures all mortal ills.
“Those wounds are mouths that preach his grace;
The ensigns of his love;
The seals of our expected bliss
In paradise above.”

I think of what my life was before I turned it over to him and I know the expected end he has for me. That's why all the more I sing. The Old Rugged Cross made the Difference for me. Jesus thank you for Calvary and dying for me that I might live and have life more abundantly. Giving me a love that will last forever. Not a temporal one like we experience with some people here, where one day they love you and cuss you the next. Oh how I long to go home to heaven but I know as the Apostle Paul, for me to live is Christ and to die is gain. Hang in there folks I know I am. HIS GRACE is Sufficient. Pastor T.

No comments: